Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Killer Cars"

There is a song by one of my favorite bands named Radiohead which popped up on shuffle the other day when I was listening to music and doing homework.  The song is called "killer cars," and is basically about how simplistically dangerous cars are.  I urge you to take a step back and think for a second, think about how people would all agree cars are a form of progress; everyone.  Is it really? 
How can something that is so unmistakably dangerous be considered progress?  I could tell you numerous ways to get in an accident while driving a car: sneeze, yawn, phone rings, brakes  give in, lose control in bad weather.  If those things are all true why do we still do it?  Why do we put our lives in such grave danger by sitting in a two ton hunk of metal supported by four pieces of rubber which separate us from life or possible death?  Honestly I could not tell you, but what I can tell you is that we will all keep doing it regardless.  In the words of Thom York, (singer of Radiohead) "Going out for a little ride, and it might be the last time you see me alive," just think twice about speeding down that suburban street at night.

No comments: